click to return to homepageclick to view shopping cart
click to go to the money map

If I Get Other Benefits can I Still get the Carers Allowance?

Possibly not. But you may get an increase in the benefits you are already claiming.

What happens if you are claiming other benefits, and you can show that you also qualify for the Carers Allowance (See the Question - "Can I get the Allowance"), is that you will not get a carers allowance, but some of your existing benefits may be topped up instead. This is called the "Carer Premium".

You will not be able to get a Carers Allowance if you already claim one of the following and get more than a Carers Allowance would be worth.

  • State Pension
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Contribution-Based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Contribution-Based Jodseekers Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • A Training Allowance
  • Unemployment Supplement - Paid with Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or War Disablement Pension
  • Widows Pension or Bereavement Allowance
  • Widows Mothers Alowance or Widowed Parents Allowance
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Industrial Death Benefit
  • Youth Training Allowance
  • Employment Training Allowance or Employment Rehabilitation Allowance

But by claiming for the allowance anyway, you may get extra "Carer Premium" paid with one of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit

Also: if your husband, wife or civil partner earns less than the "Earnings Limit" (see the page on "What if I Work")


back a step