click to return to homepageclick to view shopping cart
click to go to the money map

What Help can I get If I am Under 65 Years Old, and I Need Someone to Help Look After Me?

Answer: You should apply for a Disablity Living Allowance

Disability Allowance is a tax-free benefit paid to people under 65, and has 2 parts. The 2 parts of the allowance are for Care and Supervision, and Mobility. Press the buttons to see if you could qualify for either, or both of the parts of the Allowance.

Care and SupervisionMobility

Normally you must have had these care or supervision needs for at least 3 months and they are likely to continue for at least another 6 months.

If you are terminally ill, however, and are not expected to live longer than 6 months, there are special rules for claiming to amke sure you get your benefit more quickly and easily.

If you do not Qualify, then use the back button to Return to Step 1.

If you do Qualify, and are not claiming this benefit, then do so straight away. Call the Benefit Enquiry Line on:

Telephone: 0800 88 22 00
Textphone: 0800 24 33 55

The Benefit Enquiry Line is open from:

Monday to Friday - 8.30 am to 6.30 pm
Saturday - 9.00 am to 1.00 pm

How Much Will I Get?

This will depend on which of the 2 components you qualify for, and how severe your disability is. You will be told how much you will get once your application is completed, and the current rates of the allowance are:

Care Component
Weekly Rate
Highest Rate
Middle Rate
Lowest Rate


Mobility Component
Weekly Rate
Higher Rate
Lower Rate


How Will the Money be Paid?

Once you have applied you will be told which rate you will be able to claim. Attendence Allowance is normally paid directly in to a bank or building society account.

Will Claiming Attendance Allowance Affect any Other Benefits I am Claiming?

If you do get a Disablity Living Allowance, you may also get extra money paid with your:

  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance.
  • Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit or Council tax Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

If Someone is paid a Carers Allowance because they look after you, you may not be able to get an extra amount for severe disablity in any of the benefits or credits mentioned.

Medical Examinations

You will not normally need a medical examination when you claim for the allowance. Sometimes, however, it may be necessary to check how your condition affects you. So be prepared to go for an examination if you are asked to.

If you are unsure whether you meet the requirements, apply anyway. It is better to ask and be truned down than miss out on the allowance if you are entitled. As there are a number of options for you here, make sure you ask about them when you make your application for the Disablity Living Allowance.

back a step